Annual Report 2021
Welcome to our sixth Annual Report which describes our work from September 2020 to August 2021.
It has been another extraordinary period for education, as the continuing pandemic meant that exams had to be cancelled for the second year in a row.
Our latest annual report details how we dealt with this crisis, and all the other work we have undertaken over 12 months.
As well as working to find the best way to award qualifications in the absence of exams we have:
- conducted our second Qualified for the future consultation, laying the groundwork for future qualifications that will underpin the ambitions of the new Curriculum for Wales, reimagining how GCSEs are assessed and reshape the wider range of qualifications taken in schools;
- reformed qualifications for the construction and built environment sector, introducing the most significant changes to qualifications for a generation;
- started our review of the qualifications currently available in the travel, tourism, hospitality and catering sectors, an employment area worth more than £6 billion to the Welsh economy;
- supported the creation of Welsh-medium qualifications and published our Choice for All strategy to deliver it;
- started planning for summer 2022, announcing that exams will go ahead with adaptations to reflect the continuing impact of the pandemic while also preparing contingency plans if exams are not possible.